About This Site
From 2012 to 2014, the William T. Grant Foundation, in collaboration with the Forum for Youth Investment (FYI), convened a learning community aimed at strengthening research-practice partnerships in education. The learning community, which met twice annually for two years, involved partnerships of researchers and school district leaders from across the nation. The lessons learned, as well as the distinct perspectives and expertise of all the participants are reflected throughout this site. We thank FYI for their commitment and Alicia Wilson-Ahlstrom of FYI for succinctly capturing the participants’ contributions to this important work.
Learning Community Partnerships:
- Baltimore Education Research Consortium
- Bellevue / University of Washington
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, BTEN
- Consortium for Chicago School Research
- Middle School Mathematics and the Institutional Setting of Teaching (Vanderbilt University)
- REL Midwest Research Alliance
- REL Northwest
- Research Alliance for New York City Schools
- Stanford University / San Francisco Unified School District Partnership
- Strategic Educational Research Partnership
Selected Resources and Updates from the field
- Research-Practice Partnerships at the District Level
This paper describes three types of partnerships. It defines common elements of RPPs and describes strategies to address common challenges in this emerging area of work.
- Research-Practice Partnerships in Education: Outcomes, Dynamics, and Open Questions
This article provides a review of available evidence of the outcomes and dynamics of RPPs in education and related fields. The article also outlines a research agenda for the study of RPPs that can guide funders’ investments and help developing partnerships succeed.
- John W. Gardner Center Community Collaboratives News Round-up
Each month, the Gardner Center gathers news related to the emerging field of research supporting community collaboratives to improve youth outcomes. The news site updates information about research-practice partnerships and broader developments in the field.
- A Guide Map to Research-Practice Partnerships
This R+P Collaboratory infographic maps a set of joint steps for researchers and practitioners to create sustainable research-practice partnerships.
- The Research-Practice Partnerships Forum
This monthly webinar series created by the Research + Practice Collaboratory discusses challenges, successes and strategies for engaging in RPP work with research and educators across the country.
- Research and Practice in Education: Building Alliances, Bridging the Divide
This book presents ten educational improvement efforts involving partnerships between researchers and practitioners. The book highlights lessons for designers, funders, educational leaders, and researchers.
- What will Research Use Look Like Under the Every Student Succeeds Act
This blog post examines the impact of the Every Student Succeeds Act on RPPs and research use.